Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tandoori Chicken, Saffron Rice, and Side Salad

Tonight I made tandoori chicken with saffron rice and a side salad. I've made the chicken before and it's always very flavorful. This was my first time making saffron rice. I got the recipe here, which requires the use of a rice cooker. There is also a stovetop version. But heck, my family has a rice cooker, might as well use it. The rice was a big hit with everyone, especially my brother. I'd make it more often for him except saffron is expensive!! It cost about $20 for the saffron which I had to go to Ralph's to get since they sold out at the Albertson's nearest my house.  

Tandoori Chicken
Serves 4

8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
Juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs. plain yogurt
1 tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 2-in. piece ginger, peeled and chopped
4 tsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 3/4 tsp. hot paprika
2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro

  1. Preheat broiler. Make shallow cuts into the chicken thighs. Toss the chicken in a large bowl with the lemon juice and 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
  2. Add 2 tbs. yogurt, the vegetable oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, 1 1/2 tsp. paprika, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a food processor and pulse to make a paste. 
  3. Toss the chicken in the paste and marinate for 15 minutes.
  4. Line a broiler pan with foil. I make little slits in the aluminum with a knife where the holes in the top part of the pan are so the juices will drip down into the bottom of the pan. Otherwise, I feel the chicken gets all soggy. 
  5. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes until slightly charred. Turn the chicken pieces over and broil for another 5 to 6 minutes.
  6. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/4 tsp. paprika, cilantro, and pinch of salt into a bowl.
  7. Top the chicken with the yogurt mixture and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment