Monday, January 21, 2013

Hayashi Rice (from the packet)

Made this hayashi rice using premade mix and microwavable brown rice. Overall, it was tasty. I even had seconds. The one thing I didn't like: the sauce mix had monosodium glutamate. Sad. It was on sale for $1.69 at the Japanese market, which is why I bought it. I'm going to try and find a different brand without MSG. I also want to try making hayashi rice from scratch. I hope it's not too difficult. Anyways, the directions for this particular one is on the box. This is how I did it:

Hayashi Rice (premade mix)
Serves 4

1 medium yellow onion
1 lb. beef for stew (I cut the pieces into smaller pieces, I know at some Asian markets they also sell beef for curry which you can buy)
1 2/3 cup water
4 squares hayashi premade mix
2 packs microwave brown rice

  1. Heat some oil in a pot. Add the onion and beef. Cook until browned.
  2. Add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
  3. Add hayashi mix. Stir until dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Microwave rice according to package instructions.
  5. Serve in bowls.





No comments:

Post a Comment