Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Poached Ginger Chicken

I'm going to start off by saying I didn't really like this salad at all. I didn't like the vegetables in it, I didn't like the flavor (too gingery), and making the chicken was a pain. I thought poached chicken was supposed to be easy, but for me it was just messy (water getting everywhere). I wouldn't make this again but I'll post the recipe for your enjoyment.

Poached Ginger Chicken
Serves 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 3/4 to 2 lbs)
Kosher salt
1 2-in. piece ginger, peeled
1 large shallot
4 tbs. peanut oil
1 tbs. toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Asian chili sauce (I used sriracha)
1 bunch watercress, trimmed
Juice of 1 lime

  1.  Place the chicken in a medium pot and add just enough water to cover it. Add salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook 15 minutes until chicken is firm. In the meantime, prepare a bowl of salted iced water. Drain the chicken and put it in the ice water for 30 seconds to stop the cooking and drain again.
  2. Grate the ginger and shallot into a small bowl. Stir 3 tbs. peanut oil, the sesame oil, and 1/4 tsp. sugar in a large bowl. Add watercress and toss.
  3. Divide salad on 4 separate dishes. Slice the chicken and add to plates, topping with ginger mixture. Sprinkle with lime juice.




Adapted from Great Easy Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment