Friday, November 30, 2012

White Clam Pizza

I really liked the flavors to this pizza. They were tangy and nice. My only problem was with the pizza dough. I used the Pillsbury thick crust. First off, I don't like thick crust or deep dish pizza, there is just way too much bread. Thin crust is the way to go for me. And I later found out that the Pillsbury pre-made pizza dough has partially hydrogenated oils, which means trans fats! Horrible. I would never purchase that particular dough again. I would have liked to make the dough myself in my breadmaker but I was just short on time. Also, the Pillsbury dough didn't need kneading, which I also didn't read before I started to kneed it, because I was rushing and being careless.

White Clam Pizza
Serves 4

3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. refrigerated pizza dough
All-purpose flour, for kneading
Cornmeal, for dusting
Kosher salt
1/2 cup thinly slice mozzarella cheese (4-oz.)
2 6.5-oz cans chopped clams, juice drained and reserved
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups baby arugula
Juice of 1 lemon
Red pepper flakes for topping (I love this stuff on all my pizzas!)

  1. Preheat oven to 500F. Place a pizza stone or upside down rimmed baking sheet (what I used) on the bottom rack.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough about 6 times. Roll and stretch into a 12-in round. Place dough on a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal.
  3. Brush half the garlic oil over the dough and season with salt. Spread mozzarella and clams over the crust. Drizzle 2 tbs. clam juice and remaining olive oil on top. Sprinkle oregano, Parmesan, and salt to taste.
  4. Slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone or upside down baking sheet. Bake 13-15 minutes or until the crust is light brown.
  5. Right before the pizza is done, mix the arugula with olive oil and lemon juice. 
  6. Slice the pizza and top each piece with arugula and season with red pepper flakes.



Adapted from Great Easy Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment