Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Slow Cooker Texas Chili

For some reason, the meat in this chili came out dry. And I was really sad because it seemed like it would've taste really good. I don't know what happened. Maybe I just picked a bad batch of meat? It was too old or something? Would that affect it? I don't even know. I was also surprised at the gigantic amount of chili powder the recipe called for, and it wasn't even spicy. I made the chili with a side of boxed cornbread mix, which I decided I don't like because it tastes like chemicals. I'd rather make my cornbread from scratch.

Slow Cooker Texas Chili
Serves 6

2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 2-in. cubes
2 tbs. packed light brown sugar
Kosher salt
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
2 4.5-oz cans chopped green chiles, drained
1 tbs. ground cumin
3/4 cup chili powder
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes with chiles
2 tbs. green hot sauce
Sliced scallions, fresh cilantro, sour cream for toppings

  1. Toss the beef with 1 tbs. each of brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
  2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion to skillet and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic, chiles, cumin, chili powder, and cook for 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and tomatoes. Simmer for 3 minutes, scraping bits from the bottom. Transfer to slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
  3. Add 1 tbs. brown sugar and hot sauce to the chili. Add desired toppings.


Adapted from Great Easy Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment